Interview with Me at Optionetics

July 30th, 2008

I did an interview over at Optionetics a few weeks back and it looks like they’ve posted it in three parts. It looks like they “edited” one of my answers related to options. Here’s how it originally read. You can read how they changed it on the first part of the interview. BTW, I’ve got no problem with the edits – I just found it interesting. ;-)

Question from Optionetics: Do you ever use options and if so what are your favorite strategies?

My Answer: I don’t regularly trade options. Until relatively recently, I thought options were just a more complicated way for most people to lose money. I still think that to some extent – a lot of traders fall into the trap of thinking that trading strategies that work are complex when usually the opposite is true.

As an intraday trader trading equities, I’m always looking for volatility and when you go back and look at a daily chart of the Qs there’s a lot of sideways action with no direction either way. If I had to trade options, I’d probably trade a strategy that tries to capitalize on this non-movement.

Optionetics Interview part one, two, and three.

6 Comments

1. Prospectus Said,

July 30, 2008 @ 7:42 am

That is very interesting. Edits bother me. It’s not an interview any more, it’s an op-ed.

Congrats on the press, anyway!

2. Gav Said,

July 30, 2008 @ 6:37 pm

‘I thought options were just a more complicated way for most people to lose money. I still think that to some extent’

Showing this answer on Optionetics interview? You must be kidding me. LOL

3. Trader Mike Said,

July 31, 2008 @ 5:51 am

I’m glad you don’t have a problem with the butchering, er, editing because I sure do!

4. howard lindzon Said,

July 31, 2008 @ 7:46 pm

I will re edit these and post them on a cooking site

5. Brett Steenbarger Said,

August 1, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

Ayn Rand had it exactly right: there are those that guide their actions by a clear-eyed perception of reality, and there are those that are resolute in their faking of reality. Morality begins with perception; we either face reality with honesty and integrity or we don’t. It doesn’t matter if we’re trying to hide pollution in the Olympics; torture in a detention center; insolvency at a financial firm; or the risks of options trading–reality has a way of refusing to be edited out in the end.

Brett

August 1, 2008 @ 3:42 pm

That’s a great way to put it, Brett.

Nice, Howard. ;-)

@Mike – I’m sure I would have agreed to the edits had they confirmed them. The only reason I posted is because they didn’t confirm it and it took away from my answer.

RSS feed for comments on this post