February 20th, 2011
Just a reminder that I’ll be giving a presentation along with Trade-Ideas’ David Aferiat at the New York Traders’ Expo this coming Tuesday, February 22. The title of the talk is Automated Trading with the Odds in Your Favor. We’ll discuss coming up with trading strategies, refining your ideas into a trading plan, and creating a feedback loop for ongoing continuous learning about the markets.
Feel free to drop me a line if you’re going to be there and we can meet up.
February 16th, 2011
We’re hard at work adding support for options in StockTickr. If you’re an options trader and want to use StockTickr to improve your trading, sign up here to be notified when it will be ready.
Rest assured that the options trading journal will be:
- Easy to use
- Require minimal manual data entry
- Will help you make more money with your trading
Sign up here and be notified immediately when it’s ready.
September 23rd, 2010
We’ve recently added support for over 27 Forex currency pairs on StockTickr. So if you trade Forex then you can now use StockTickr to track your performance and become a better trader. Sign up now and take a free trial.
Learn more about improving your trading with StockTickr in a free webinar scheduled for next Tuesday, September 28th at 8PM ET. The webinar is sponsored by MB Trading. You can sign up here.
- Trade Charting – Analyze your trades on charts with your entry, exit, and stop price automatically plotted right on the chart allowing you to quickly review dozens of trades by flipping through charts and identifying new patterns.
- Dozens of Reports – Access to easy to use reports that show how you can take your trading to the next level, for example by changing how you take profits or manage stops.
- Backtesting – Run simulations and what-if scenarios to see how you can improve your trading. Use the backtester to help you answer questions such as: would you be better of scaling out of trades? Or, would you be better off using a target across your trades?
- Categorize with Tags – Use tags to classify your trades and view reports and charts for subsets of your trades. Now you can easily see performance across different types of strategies you are trading and identify the most promising ones.
- Automated Trading, Graphs, and much, much more.
April 6th, 2010
We’ve recently removed the requirement that our automated trading robot users have to have purchased the Trade-Ideas Odds Maker. It is still highly recommended that you purchase and use the Odds Maker so you can backtest your ideas and easily compare trading results to your backtests.
That said, we know there are traders out there who have already proven their system without using the Odds Maker and want to use the power and ease of Trade-Ideas and StockTickr to automatically trade their strategies and track their trading performance with the trading journal.
Now the only fees that are required to use the StockTickr Trading Robot are:
StockTickr Pro Subscription: $49.99/mo
Trade-Ideas Standard Subscription: $65/mo
Existing subscribers can download the robot here or you can try it for free by taking the trial.
August 11th, 2008
For the next interview in the StockTickr Interview Series (RSS feed), I spoke with Andrew Allen from Humble Money. Andrew is an independant day trader and has a chess background.
Read on for a great interview and learn more about how Andrew trades, more about his chess background, and how he got started trading.
Read the rest of this entry »
January 28th, 2008
Support for TradeStation has always been a frequent request from users and we’ll have support very soon. TradeStation users will enjoy some very nice integration with StockTickr. Once configured, TradeStation will essentially keep your trading journal for you automatically in REAL TIME.
Whether you’re a strategy trader or a discretionary trade, you’ll also have access to the best performance analysis statistics available that go far beyond what’s available within TradeStation.
You won’t have to lift a finger. This will be some of the nicest integration of any broker we support.
Do you auto-trade? You’ll be able to get a real time view of the trades your TradeStation automated strategy has taken from any web browser. Imagine if you’re away from your trading computer and you want to check how your ATS is doing. You can just log into StockTickr to see how it’s performing.
Are you interested in beta testing? In exchange for your help you’ll get access to StockTickr at a significant discount. Please contact us using this form and include the type of instruments you trade, whether you hold positions overnight, and whether you do any auto trading.
January 16th, 2008
One of the most popular features of StockTickr is the Bulk Import. Instead of adding your trades manually one at a time, the StockTickr Bulk Import lets you import tons of trades at once using an export file from your broker or trading platform. Traders like it because it saves a bunch of time and prevents data entry errors. We’ve recently added support for more platforms:
As the executions go into your journal, StockTickr automatically translates them into actual “trades”.
So for example if you’ve got a list of executions like the following:
Buy 200 AMZN at 91.18 at 9:43AM
Buy 300 AMZN at 91.21 at 9:43AM
Buy 500 AMZN at 91.50 at 9:50AM
Sell 400 AMZN at 91.83 at 9:55AM
Sell 600 AMZN at 91.99 at 10:03AM
StockTickr knows the difference between getting filled for one order at different prices and scaling in or scaling out. So these executions go into StockTickr as:
Open trade: Long 500 AMZN at 91.20 at 9:43AM
Scale in 500 AMZN at 91.50 at 9:50AM
Scale out 400 AMZN at 91.83 at 9:55AM
Close trade: Sell 600 AMZN at 91.99 at 10:03AM.
StockTickr handles this automatically and also assigns your default tags and calculates and assigns commissions if they’re not included in the export file. The time savings is immense – one client says this saves him 30 minutes a day compared to the manual record keeping he was doing.
September 20th, 2007
We’ve recently added a great feature that will help new users get started right off the bat. You can now import your trading history into StockTickr using a simple form. If you’ve neglected to keep a trading journal this is a great way to catch up and access all the eye-opening reports that are available in StockTickr. Here’s how it works:
- Export your trades from any Penson based broker (CyberTrader, MBTrading, many others) or Interactive Brokers using their simple and quick reporting sites.
- Go to the Bulk Import page in StockTickr and point to the file you generated.
- Specify the account value and risk numbers you used for your trades and click Upload Now.
The process is really simple and works very well. Here are some benefits:
- StockTickr matches your “executions” into “trades” and knows which executions correspond to different order types: Buy, Buy to Cover, Short, Sell, Scale In, or Scale Out.
- StockTickr automatically determines which trades you have already entered in your journal and imports only the new trades (even if you’ve opened a position in StockTickr and haven’t closed it yet).
- StockTickr gives a reasonable default stop value based on the parameters you enter on the initial import screen.
- You can specify tags for each trade or use the default tags that you specify in your StockTickr Profile.
- Most of the StockTickr Broker Plugins can access only your most recent trading day’s executions – the Bulk Import tool can be used to import your entire trading history.
- The StockTickr Chart Review is generated for each trade so you can see your entry, stop, and exit points plotted right on the chart.
Your imported trades are assigned the “import” tag so you can easily identify them within StockTickr, so you can include them or exclude them in any reports you run.
Update: I was reminded by a subscriber that we forgot to add a link for it. We just added one here in the reports section:
August 22nd, 2007
Do you use Real Tick or MB Trading as your broker? If so, we’d love to have you test out the StockTickr plugin that we created that supports these two brokers. You’ll get an extended free trial to StockTickr and a very significant discount off the standard subscription rate.
The StockTickr Plugin does the following:
- Automated Record Keeping – the plugin pulls your executions from your trading platform and inserts them into your StockTickr Trading Journal
- Trade Type Recognition – the plugin automatically determines the type of trade you made – buy, sell, scale in, scale out, sell short, or buy to cover.
- Intelligent Default Stops – the plugin uses an algorithm to determine a default stop based on recent trades in your journal. Of course, you can override the suggested value.
- Duplicate Trade Avoidance – the plugin queries your journal and avoids entering duplicate trades. This allows you to run the plugin more than once a day.
- Default Tags – you can customize the default tags that are applied to each trade in your journal.
- StockTickr Chart Review – StockTickr will generate charts for all your trades with your entry and exit points plotted right on the chart.
- Saves You A Lot of Time – you know how important keeping a trading journal and capturing charts of all your trades is – StockTickr does this for you automatically!
The StockTickr Plugin for Real Tick adds the following feature:
- Optionally enter your entire trading history, not just the most recent day’s trades.
If you’re interested in testing these plugins for us with Real Tick or MB Trading, use the contact form and select Beta Program from the drop down. Include which broker you use and a brief description about yourself and we’ll send you the links for the plugins.
May 7th, 2007
Data entry is boring and error-prone – wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pull your trade executions right from your broker into your journal automatically? That’s exactly what you can do if you’re a CyberTrader client or now an Interactive Brokers client.
One StockTickr Pro subscriber says with this plugin along with automatic chart review that he’ll save 30 to 45 minutes every day that he used to spend manually keeping records.
Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for StockTickr Pro if you’re not already.
- Download and install the StockTickr/IB Plugin.
- When you’re ready to upload your trades to StockTickr, simply start the plugin from your start menu.
- Click Logon to connect to TWS and StockTickr.
- Click Load Executions to load the executions into the plugin window.
- Click Send to StockTickr to automatically send your executions into your journal.
The plugin will automatically compact your executions into trades. For example, let’s say you put in a trade of 200 shares and got filled for 100 shares at 50.10 and the other 100 shares at 50.12. The plugin automatically determines that was a single trade and loads 200 shares at 50.11.
There’s a free trial for StockTickr Pro, so sign up today.
Here’s a screenshot of the plugin in action: